Hanging wall decor isn’t the easiest task. There are a lot of rules of how to hang wall art, and often you’re wondering, what size wall art should I buy? Here’s how to make sure your Canvas Prints, Gallery Blocks, Framed Prints, Metal Prints, and mixed-media gallery walls are going to look perfect in their new space!
Know the golden rules of wall decor.
When hanging wall art, know the golden rules surrounding width and height. First, art should be between 4/7 and ¾ as wide as the furniture it’s above. Second, the center of the piece should be about 58” high – that’s the standard height for paintings in an art gallery. Additionally, the bottom of the piece should hang 6-12” above the closest piece of furniture.
Measure to get the right size for your wall art.
Two common faux pas when hanging wall art? The first is creating a tiny art island in a sea of empty wall space. The second is hanging a piece so high that people need a stepladder to see it.
All you need to do to find the right size is measure the furniture’s width, then multiply by .57 (4/7) and then .75 (¾) to get the size range for the art. For example, if your sofa is 84” wide, then your art should be between 47” and 63” wide.
Decide on a gallery wall or a single piece.
Whether you’re hanging a single piece or creating a gallery wall, the sample principles apply! Use multiple smaller pieces to cover the recommended width. Space pieces 2-4” apart. And, be sure to take those spaces into account when calculating the total width!
Know your standards.
Here are the standard sizes of wall art to hang above furniture in your home:
- For a twin bed, choose art that’s between 22-30” wide.
- For a full bed, choose art that’s between 30-41” wide.
- For a queen bed, choose art that’s between 34-45” wide.
- For a king bed, choose art that’s between 43-57” wide.
- For art above a fireplace, match the width of the art to the width of the fireplace opening.
- For a 96” sofa, get 54-72” art.
- For a 72” sofa, get 41-54” art.
- For a 60” table, choose art that’s between 34-45” wide.
See more sizes in the infographic below: